Sunday, January 11, 2009

Week # 1

Week #1
Tentative hours as of right now:
Monday, Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursday: 1 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Saturday: varies
24 subtotal hours out of 400 total hours 24/400

This was my first week working for the Fayetteville SwampDogs. The Fayetteville SwampDogs are part of the Coastal Plain League which is a competitive collegiate summer baseball league. The team consists of players from all over the nation from different colleges/universities. It’s amazing how much you can learn week. I had many new tasks that I have never accomplished before. I thought this week would be like trying to get my bearings and relax and know where everything is, but, I was wrong of course. As soon as I walked in the SwampDogs office at J.P. Riddle Stadium, I had my work laid out for me and everything was “go , go, go”. I didn’t even know everybody’s names when I started my first task (there are only four people in the office). So far, there has been three other guys that I work with. Darrell is the owner/director of baseball operations of the SwampDogs. Mark is the general manager and my boss, Jeremy, is the assistant general manager/internship coordinator. Since it’s the off season, there tasks are to sell sponsorships to local businesses in Cumberland County. They have a marketing kit that they hand out to the business owners to show them the menu of what is offered. My tasks this week included the following:

Contact the Sport Information Directors at the schools/universities where the players are from and receive headshots of the players for our website: www.goswampdogs.com
Make Excel spreadsheets for the players and their contact information (e-mail address, phone numbers) and the other one was schedules of the college teams playing in the area with 2009 SwampDog players.
Field maintenance work (put up signs knocked down by wind)
Answer phone calls
Went to meetings concerning selling future sponsorships
Write press releases

Tasks for the upcoming week are putting together the annual Kids Camp. I will have to make a spreadsheet of the kids that attended the camp last year and send out a blast e-mail to the parents to announce that the sign-ups for the camps our coming soon. Darrell’s father, Lou, is the part owner of the SwampDogs and he is coming into town this week so I have to step my game up and be on task.

No comments:

Post a Comment